Yo Momma was an American television show based upon insulting one’s mother. Creators, executive producers and hosts are Wilmer Valderrama, along with Sam Sarpong (Seasons 1 and 2), Jason Everhart and Destiny Lightsy. The show—which ran from 2006 to 2007, and as the title suggests—used “yo momma” jokes, and many episodes featured guest appearances from rappers.
Season 1: Los Angeles
- Week One: Method Man
- Week Two: Mike Jones
- Week Three: Chingy
- Week Four: Ne-Yo
- Best of LA: They were selected as the jury for the hosts
Season 2: New York City
- Week One (Brooklyn): Jadakiss
- Week Two (Manhattan): E-40
- Week Three (Bronx): Fat Joe
- Week Four (Queens): Chamillionaire
- Best of NY: As was the case in Season One, the mommas of the weekly runner-ups were jury members.
Season 3: Atlanta
- Week One: Ying Yang Twins
- Week Two: Bow Wow
- Week Three: Jermaine Dupri
- Week Four: Frankie J
- Best of Atlanta: Again, the mommas of the weekly runner-ups served as the jury for the head-to-head semi-finals.
The Yo Momma Online Network
In conjunction with Yo Momma, MTV launched YoMomma.tv, a Web 2.0 community dedicated to increasing viewer engagement with the program, and heavily promoted during Yo Momma episodes. Site users construct a profile and upload their own yo momma jokes (or “disses”), and attempt to boost their rankings on the site by challenging other users to “Battles”, exchanges of uploaded disses between two users. Both disses and Battles are voted on by the user community.
A corollary feature is “Let’s Bully”, which allows users to send insults over e-mail using an avatar of the user’s face superimposed over modifiable clip art. The Let’s Bully feature was the subject of an article in Adweek Magazine.